Welcome To The Ultimate Sports Guide
The Ultimate Sports Guide publishes definitive baseball and football issues every year for avid San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California sports fans. Distributed free of charge, each seasonal issue provides extensive professional and collegiate team coverage through feature articles, player interviews and profiles, photo essays, schedules, seating charts and directories. Issues become invaluable sports reference guides throughout the season and the full-color, glossy, 120-page magazine is often referred to as the Bay Area's own Sports Illustrated.
Charlie O. Finley was a fantastic self-promoter and brought a number of breakthroughs to the National Pastime. Finley ruled with an iron hand and understood that sports was changing from a game to a mass entertainment event. He was always pushing the envelope:
- He pushed for the Designated Hitter.
- Midweek World Series games played at night.
- Orange baseballs.
- The 3-ball walk.
- Ultra bright green and gold/yellow uniforms.
- Harvey the Mechanical Rabbit which popped up near home plate when the ump needed more balls.
- A marketing mule named Charlie-O.
- Creating names of players: Blue Moon, Catfish, Captain Sal. He asked Vida Blue .... Read More.
Sports Scores Today
Monday, August 13, 2018
For a schedule of weekly games, click this sports schedule link
* The Designated Hitter and The Shift
* Golden State Warriors v. Cleveland Cavaliers
* Sabermetrics, Launch Angle and Statcast
* Oakland Athletics' Future Is Bright
* Oakland Coliseum Is Still In The Game
* Houston Astros To Visit The White House
* A's New Ballpark -- Are The Athletics Still At Home Plate
* Rafael Palmeiro at 53 -- Needs One More Game
* Remembering Billy Martin -- A Flawed Man But A Great Manager